Afghan woman beaten to death by mob of Muslim men, set on fire and thrown in river

- By The Associated Press - Kabul - March 22, 2015

Young Afghan woman beaten to death by a mob of Muslim Afghan men was buried in Kabul on Sunday, her coffin carried aloft by women’s rights activists.

Hundreds of people gathered in northern Kabul for the funeral of 27-year-old Farkhunda, who like many Afghans is known by only one name.

She was killed on late Thursday by a mob of Muslim men who beat her, set her body on fire and then threw her into the Kabul River, while police and hundreds of men stood idle and, watched and some even participated in stomping and kicking her as shown on this tragedy’s shocking video footage.

According to eyewitnesses the young woman had purchased a healing prayer from the local mullah. She was promise by the mullah that the prayer will work and take effect within 7 days. 10 days later she returns to the mullah asking for her money back due to the fact that the healing prayer did not work. In the heated argument the mullah runs outside while cursing the young woman, screaming and accusing her of burning the Quran.

Policemen who did nothing at the time of this tragedy are still investigating what prompted the mob assault.

President Ashraf Ghani condemned Farkhunda’s killing as a “heinous attack” and ordered an investigation.

Following allegations that police stood by and did nothing to stop the fatal attack, Ghani said it revealed “a fundamental issue” – the country’s police were too focused on the fight against the Taliban insurgency to concentrate on community policing.

His comments followed wide condemnation of the killing.

In Afghanistan, just like many other backwards male dominated Muslim countries, women are generally regarded as inferior, despite constitutional guarantees of equality. Violence against women often goes unpunished.

Some Afghan officials and religious leaders sought to justify Farkhunda’s killing, alleging that she had burned a Quran; these claims remain unproven.

The city’s head of criminal investigation, Mohammad Farid Afzali, has said Farkhunda suffered an unspecified psychiatric illness, but a neighbour told The Associated Press that she was nearing the end of a religious studies course and preparing to become a teacher.

“Everyone respected her, she was very religious and never left her home without covering her face with a hijab,” said Mirwais Afizi, 40, who said he had lived on the same lane as Farkhunda’s family all his life.

Pin It